Plan of Study for Nairobi LTC-LC Certificate Course, November 18-22, 2019
Half hour daily devotions, plus 5 one-hour sessions all 5 days (25 sessions)
Course Learning Objectives
Upon successful completion of this course:
- You will deepen your love for Muslims, and increase your confidence in ministering to them.
- You will understand significant approaches that Christians have taken in ministering among Muslims throughout history.
- You will be familiar with the diversity in Muslim thought and practice globally and locally, and understand the variety of ways in which Muslims experience their faith.
- You will understand contemporary theory and practice in Christian witness among Muslims, and be able to assess the strengths and weaknesses of controversial approaches to ministry to Muslim.
- You will be able to articulate your own theological assessment of Islam.
- You will develop your own contextually sensitive, personalized approach to ministering to Muslims.
- You will be better equipped to equip people in your churches and ministries to engage in fruitful outreach to Muslims.
Proposed Schedule for the Week:
Don – 6 + 2 shared sessions, Gail – 3 + 2 shared sessions, LC Team – 7 sessions & 2 shared, plus, & 6 project sessions = Total of 25 sessions. LC team will also set up the five daily devotional times.
Schedule: Five One-Hour Sessions each Day
8.30-9.30 Session 1
9.30-10.00 Tea break
10.00-11.00 Session 2
11.00-12.00 Session 3
1-2 Session 4
2-2.30 Tea break
2.30-3.30 Session 5
Monday: Muslims in historical and contemporary perspective
Session 1: Getting to know each other and Introduction to the Course & Ministry Project (Gail & Don)
Session 2: Muslim Diversity and global demographics (Gail)
Session 3: Roots and expressions of contemporary radical Islam (Don)
Session 4: Islam in East Africa in the 20th and 21st centuries (LC team)
Session 5: Project 1: Describe and analyze the primary types of Muslims in your ministry region
Tuesday: Historical Christian approaches to Muslims & what we can learn
Session 6: Survey of primary Christian approaches to Muslims throughout the centuries. [BLH material on 10 approaches.] (Including cameos of important figures such as John of Damascus, Timothy of Baghdad, etc.) (Don)
Session 7: 19th & 20th Century protestant approaches to Muslims – An introduction to some significant missionaries to Muslims of the past 200 years. (Gail & LC team for East Africa)
Session 8: Post-WW2 Evangelical approaches to Muslim evangelism and ministry till the 1980s (Don & LC team for East Africa)
Session 9: Survey of Christian engagement with Muslims in East Africa in the past 40 years. (LC team)
Session 10: Project 2: Describe, categorize and assess historical approaches to Muslims in your region.
Wednesday: Thinking Biblically and Christianly about Islam and Muslims
Session 11: Towards a Biblical theology of non-Christian Religions (Don)
Session 12: Working towards a theological assessment of Islam (Don)
Session 13: Primary ways East African Muslims experience Islam and religious practice (LC team)
Session 14: Understanding/assessing ways East African Christians view Muslims and Islam (LC team)
Session 15: Project 3: Articulate / Defend your theology of Muhammad, the Qur’an, the Ummah and of Islam as a whole
Thursday: Understanding and Assessing Contemporary Approaches
Session 16: Range of approaches to contextualization including insider approaches (Don)
Session 17: Understanding and Assessing the CPM or DMM approach to church planting. (Don)
Session 18: Understanding and assessing contemporary approaches in East Africa (LC team)
Session 19: Personal Evangelism – Engaging Muslims and asking fruitful questions (EI 9 & 10) (Gail)
Session 20: Project 4: Describe your approach to contextually appropriate witness and church planting and defend it biblically, historically and contextually.
Friday: Understanding and Defending Your Ministry Approach to Muslims
Session 21: Personal Evangelism – Ministering in love, like Jesus (EI 12-15) (Gail)
Session 22: Personal Evangelism – Responding to Muslim Objections – LC team (& Don)
Session 23: Presentation of Your Ministry Projects, First Groups
Session 24: Presentation of Your Ministry Projects, Second Groups
Session 25: Final session of Prayer, Celebration and Giving Certificates – LC Team
Ministry Project Contains:
- A description and analysis of the primary types of Islam and Muslims in your region
- Concise historical survey and assessment of Christian ministry to Muslims in your ministry region
- A clear, well defended theological assessment of Muhamad, the Qur’an, the Ummah and Islam
- A clear presentation and defense of the approaches to Muslims you will use in your region
Readings from Georges Houssney’s Engaging Islam (Additional PDF readings will be sent next week)
- Monday – Chapters 1,2,4 & 7
- Tuesday – Chapter 3
- Wednesday – Chapters 6, 8 & 11
- Thursday – Chapters 9 & 10
- Friday – Chapters 12-15